Our writing advisors will provide useful and informed feedback whatever your stage in the writing process. We can help you get started, work on a thesis statement, build an outline, critique a draft, focus on stylistic and structural issues, discuss integrating sources, and much more. Our friendly writing advisors can help you with all types of writing assignments across all disciplines. You can bring in your essays, lab reports, letters of intent, C.V.s, reviews, research proposals, thesis or dissertation or just come for a brainstorming session.
We offer free one-to-one sessions to all members of Western's community. Undergraduates, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, faculty, and staff members all use our services.
There are two ways to book an appointment:
- By phone: 519-661-3655
- In person: at Room 4100, Western Student Services Building in the Student Development Centre
High Demand Times, Cancellations, No-Show Policy
- Appointments are in high demand, especially during November and March. Make your appointment well in advance to secure your place.
- If you need to cancel an appointment call 519-661-3655, and let us know as soon as possible so your time slot can be made available for another student. Thanks!
- If you just fail to show up for your appointment you are considered a No-Show. This will affect your ability to make future appointments. After two No-Shows, students will not be able to book an appointment until the following term.
- Note that we do not accept bookings via email.
- Students are allowed one writing session with an advisor per day: either a drop-in session at Weldon Library or a booked appointment at our main centre in Western Student Services Building (WSS4100).
Appointment Hours and Location
- Monday to Friday, 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Check in at SDC reception, Western Student Services Building Room 4100.
Check out our 1 Minute Video FAQ
Still have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
The Writing Support Centre
Student Development Centre
The University of Western Ontario
Room 4100, Western Student Services Building
London, Ontario, Canada
Online Writing Help
Western students can email their drafts of written assignments or writing-related questions directly to the Writing Support Centre if circumstances prevent making a scheduled appointment.
How it works:
- Fill out the Writing Assistance by E-mail form using the link below to submit a draft of your writing assignment or any writing-related questions.
- A writing advisor will respond with feedback to the draft within 4 days (not including weekends). We are not a 24/7 service. We will respond during our business hours.
- We are only able to respond to one submission at a time. Once you have submitted your work you must wait until you receive our feedback before submitting additional writing. Multiple submissions will be ignored.
- We spend the same time with online submissions as we do in our 50-minute one-to-one counselling sessions. This means we can read and comprehensively respond to about 5 pages of written work.
- Students should be as specific as possible with their questions for the writing advisor. Do not just cut and paste the assignment instructions.
- We are not an editing service. We are a teaching unit. We will provide general comments on how to improve your written work.
Where to email your writing assignments:
- The Writing Support Centre only provides online help for work submitted using the following link:
Writing Assistance by E-mail